Gom ShabuShabu

RESTAURANT REVIEW

IMG_5115.jpg

When I was in college, my friends nicknamed me “Rand McNally” because I was known for having absolutely no sense of direction. Even though I grew up in Atlanta, I would get us lost with little effort; a ‘talent’ that has served me well as I search Atlanta for new restaurants. Yesterday’s excursion to Gwinnett with my friend, “Chowfun,” was a classic Jennifer/”Rand McNally” moment. I got us hopelessly lost. Stubborn gal that I am, however, I ignored Chowfun’s squirming protests against my alleged haphazard driving because I just knew that I was going to find something worth trying. Mere moments before capitulation, I spotted the large words “Shabu Shabu” on a sign in a small strip mall. I shouted “shabu shabu” and Chowfun replied: “Go!” Could I possibly be redeemed?

If you have been following along, you’ll know that I love shabu shabu. This restaurant is a bit different from the Japanese places I normally frequent. It is Korean-owned and the setup is unique for Atlanta. The pots (pictured above) of boiling stock (they use a veggie stock instead of water with kelp) are set inside the table and each diner is given her own. The menu is straightforward with many choices like premium beef, lamb, seafood, etc. You can also order other items like tofu, mushrooms, extra seafood, etc.

After ordering–Chowfun got the lamb and seafood combo and I got the beef with a side order of tofu–we made our way towards one of the sauce stations that are full of ingredients (like chopped garlic, cilantro, sesame oil, and ponzu sauce) where you can assemble your own concoction based on your particular tastes.

The vegetable plate is the first to arrive and is an odd combination of corn on the cob, a halved hot dog on a stick, fish cake, raw egg, yam noodles, and assorted vegetables–quite different from what I am used to, but this is Korean-inspired shabu shabu, so take it for what it is worth.

When I was in college, my friends nicknamed me “Rand McNally” because I was known for having absolutely no sense of direction. Even though I grew up in Atlanta, I would get us lost with little effort; a ‘talent’ that has served me well as I search Atlanta for new restaurants. Yesterday’s excursion to Gwinnett with my friend, “Chowfun,” was a classic Jennifer/”Rand McNally” moment. I got us hopelessly lost. Stubborn gal that I am, however, I ignored Chowfun’s squirming protests against my alleged haphazard driving because I just knew that I was going to find something worth trying. Mere moments before capitulation, I spotted the large words “Shabu Shabu” on a sign in a small strip mall. I shouted “shabu shabu” and Chowfun replied: “Go!” Could I possibly be redeemed?

If you have been following along, you’ll know that I love shabu shabu. This restaurant is a bit different from the Japanese places I normally frequent. It is Korean-owned and the setup is unique for Atlanta. The pots (pictured above) of boiling stock (they use a veggie stock instead of water with kelp) are set inside the table and each diner is given her own. The menu is straightforward with many choices like premium beef, lamb, seafood, etc. You can also order other items like tofu, mushrooms, extra seafood, etc.

After ordering–Chowfun got the lamb and seafood combo and I got the beef with a side order of tofu–we made our way towards one of the sauce stations that are full of ingredients (like chopped garlic, cilantro, sesame oil, and ponzu sauce) where you can assemble your own concoction based on your particular tastes.

The vegetable plate is the first to arrive and is an odd combination of corn on the cob, a halved hot dog on a stick, fish cake, raw egg, yam noodles, and assorted vegetables–quite different from what I am used to, but this is Korean-inspired shabu shabu, so take it for what it is worth.

On my way out, I spied spring rolls made with bulgogi at the table next to us and kicked myself for missing that menu item. The staff was very friendly and we both agreed that we would come back if we were in the area. I was redeemed.

List of Articles
No. Subject Author Date Views
» RESTAURANT REVIEW file admin 2015.01.26 8102
3 Korean Shabu Shabu file admin 2015.01.26 4948
2 Shabu-Shabu file admin 2015.01.26 6589
1 Gom Shabu Shabu: A Korean twist on traditional Japanese Cuisine file admin 2015.01.26 7011
Board Pagination Prev 1 Next
/ 1